Wednesday, September 2, 2009

b is for bartering (or how I got my wedding planner for free)

Like most budget-conscious brides around, there have been times when I've had to tell myself to forgo an awesome vendor or idea because it was just too pricey. The thing is, I'm not a take-no-for-an-answer kind of gal. In fact, when I was in college, the whole University of Texas campus went nuts trying to get lottery tickets to go see the Obama and Clinton debate, which I entered and didn't win. Instead of sulking and watching the debate from home, I emailed CNN and got to attend the debate as a student reporter. As my mom said, "it never hurts to ask," and that's how I approach just about everything.

When I first heard about the concept of bartering/being creative to get things for your wedding, I wasn't sold initially. The wedding industry seemed cut and dry enough, and I thought I'd be laughed out of the store if I offered to do something in exchange for a cake, for instance.

I really wanted a wedding coordinator, but Mr. Starfish and I have absolutely no budget for one. However, when he started suggesting using his poor mom to set up centerpieces at our reception site, I knew something drastic had to be done! I started googling wedding coordinators in my area, and started picking out ones that needed a website makeover. I emailed a few and offered to redesign their website and blog in exchange for day of services... and what do you know, I received responses from every single one of them wanting to work with me! So now I get to do what I love (design) for a wonderful wedding service, and get something to put in my portfolio.

Next time, we'll discuss how I got my photographer (who starts at $4,000 for her basic package and has been featured on many of the popular wedding blogs) for free. Be jealous. Be very, very jealous.

No comments: