Wednesday, September 2, 2009

my dress came from neiman's

Sample sale, that is. While at a bridal show in Austin last year with a good friend, we picked up cute little memos reminding us to head out to the Neiman Marcus Last Call bridal sample sale in a few months. I was ecstatic, considering I had never been to a sample sale, nor had I even started to think about the dress. I invited my mom and grandmother to come up for that weekend, but sadly they couldn't come. I was devastated, thinking there was no way I could even chance getting "the one" without my family there. My friend suggested we head over there anyway, just to look.

Well, that's what I thought. After trying on a few fluffy Veras and searching for the MS Dora to no avail, I was about to give up... when I saw it. Mermaid silhouette (check), sweetheart neckline (check), covered from head to toe in abstract chiffon roses?! I swooned a little as I got closer (the oddly shaped roses reminded me of a Monet or something) and then I did a double take when I saw the price. An Ulla-Maija, it originally retailed for $9,000. It was listed at $1,000. I had to try it on.

It fit like a dream. I called my mom, who actually wasn't too pleased that I was considering getting a dress without her, but I was in LOVE! Yes, there wasn't the cliche tear-on-mom's-eye or the gleeful clapping of commission-based salespeople, but there was me, the dress, and a good friend. In true Miss Starfish fashion, I chose a good deal over a bunch of brouhaha - I bought the dress and called it a day. And that is how I got the dress for 8 grand less than it should have been. Did I mention I already booked an appointment with the coveted seamstress/angel of the DC metro area, Angie? I'm on top of things, ya'll.

No comments: